I have decided to blog my ongoing work on my MA thesis. As with most graduate students, I'm sure, the whole thing is taking much longer than expected.

Friday, June 24, 2005

st-jean, a provincial national holiday

To make my way to page 65 in a day was ambitious. I omitted giving the details of my progression because I thought that I majorly sucked!

Three days later and I'm at page 77. Which is OK. These things always take so much longer than expected.

It's the St-Jean and I haven't been outside of my apartment in 2 days. Then people ask me if I find it hard working on my thesis during summer time. My answer: I am good at living in denial. At my desk, it can be January or raining out all year long. When I was a kid I had read a book called _I never promised you a rose garden_. It's the only book I read twice as a teenager. It was about a 14 year old girl who was crazy and institutionalized. Her sickness fascinated me. In the month of July, the land in her head would be in winter and she would be freezing and shivering constantly. Well, though I have not yet attained a total contradiction in body vs outside temperatures, I can sometimes be completely oblivious to heat, sunshine and the passing of beautiful days. Like today. Like yesterday. To relax I read the second half of _War of the worlds_. I did that last night while most of our friends went out to an after-hours party. I worked today. Funny how I fight it while an underlying desire in me pushes me to finish. I don't understand it. I'm no longer master of parts of myself. Bet you never thought writing an MA thesis could do that, ey?

Tomorrow night we have supper with Maîté & Fred. She wrote me an email saying how she's of late only kept in touch with me through my blog. I had forgotten that some people, some friends, actually read this thing and am always a bit stunned when I find out that they do. She referred to me as the Bridget Jones for intellectuals. Yup! That's me! And from now on I shall keep an introductory log of the cigarettes I smoke, the alcoholic beverages I drink and the minutes spent procrastinating surfing the net. I'll leave the calories and weight to Bridget. Besides, when I moved out of my folks' place I made a point of not buying a scale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home