I have decided to blog my ongoing work on my MA thesis. As with most graduate students, I'm sure, the whole thing is taking much longer than expected.

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

mods to do on Djuna chapter

Generally, it isn't as bad as I originally feared. But there are some weak points...

- The psychoanalytical make-up of the abject will need to be explained, though not as extensively as I might have originally thought.

- I'll need to describe in the chapter's intro that I will be looking at important points/themes that have been brought up by other theorists/critics, at the theme of abjection in the novel, meaning the psychoanalytical make-up of the various characters, and the particularities of the language used (what's abject about it).

- About previous point = themes & psycho. make-up down pat, the language thing still needs some work.

- Some of my paragraphs are weirdly written. I write passages from the texts or quotations and then, in a final sentence, state my point. This creates a blotchy style and is unclear to the reader. I'll have to rewrite then. First sentence being the statement, then back-up with text & quotes. I should make the whole writing a bit more fluid, even if that means I might be a bit wordier.

- I like the way I present the whole thing as portraits of the characters. Problem is that a reader who hasn't read the book might become a bit confused. I should therefore write (in the intro?) some kind of outline to the story, even if this makes the whole story sound linear. It's needed for clarity's sake. Especially with regards to Robin's relationships (her wandering - she is the only one in the novel who wanders from person to person, in this way she is the only one who moves).

- When I look at the notes I took during my last meeting with Lianne & Andrew, they seem to encourage me to write more about what has previously been done on abjection and this text, citing other theorists. I should maybe work on having a broader-view intro... I think the purpose of this is to set my work in time, so to speak. To place it among other works that have been done on this topic and to (try to) elude to the importance/originality of my work.

- Typos and weird sentence construction (duh).

- Stop using resume in the French way & other gallicisms (duh).

- As for writing more abou the writing, a problematic element is that it is somewhat chapter specific, and I deal with the characters cross-novel. Maybe try to pin-point one character to a chapter and then elaborate on how its written? Might be the most natural way of going about it...

- Revise the theory and make sure my claims of their psych. make-up is logical. Especially O'Connor + the role of the Law.

- Rearrange the part that deals with Guido Jr. It feels a bit "put there." Make one full chapter for him? Cut him out? Disperse him throughout the text?

- Some paragraphs don't seem to end properly. Weak final sentences. Reader is expecting something more, something more complete.

- The beginning of each section should explain, generally, the psycho. make-up and/or the role of of abjection in relation to the highlighted character. This should clarify the point and give the reader a better sense of direction within the essay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home