I have decided to blog my ongoing work on my MA thesis. As with most graduate students, I'm sure, the whole thing is taking much longer than expected.

Monday, June 13, 2005

Dear Lianne,

I was thinking, in order to make the term abject clearer on a literary standpoint, to see the abject as "border," and to look at the borders that cause ambiguity, hence abjection, in these two books.

I will still want to incorporate a psychoanalysis, of sorts, of the characters mainly to differentiate between outcast and abject characters.

I will want to look at the writing, as well, and show how the effect of its ambiguous order causes a feeling of abjection for the reader. It is also, I believe, the gaps that can be found at/in these border-writings that cause jouissance, and make them writerly instead of readerly texts.

By looking at the abject as border, I feel it will be easier to touch upon certain themes such as the beast (the border between animal and human) and violence (the border between love and hate, and their kinds of sensualities). I would prefer examining themes that can be found in both books.

I realize that I need to have a few definite themes in mind while looking at these novels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home